mercredi 3 novembre 2010

Today, mom received an email from a mom living with a special needs little girl. Here's the email:

Aujourd'hui, maman a reçu un email d'une maman anglophone qui est comme suit:

Hi there,

I found your blog while searching for mom (or dad) blogs that deal with raising children with special needs. I have a child with special needs . . .she is 2, she is nonverbal, she can't walk or stand without help, she loves her dog, she's sneaky and hilarious :) I have a small blog where I talk about things with her, things with my family, etc.

A month ago I published my take on "Welcome to Holland" (the traditional poem given to parents of children who are "different")---called "Amsterdam International". I wrote it because I think "Welcome to Holland" is kind of lacking (for many parents). It presents a nice little everything-will-be-just-fine-look!-there-are-windmills type of view, and kind of dismisses (by omission) the terrible turmoil that some parents go through as they process that their child (and life) will always be "different" (especially during the newly diagnosed period).

I thought you might be interested in it, as may others in the different communities/messages boards/ etc that you may frequent. I'm just trying to put it out there, with the hopes that some parents will come across it as they are coming to terms with things, and they might find comfort in knowing that their thoughts are normal and they're not alone. Please feel free to pass it on, blog about it (whether you like it or don't), email it, share it on Facebook, anything that might help it find people who will be comforted by it.

Here's the link:
http://niederfamily.blogspot.com/2010/10/amsterdam-international.html

(It was also recently featured on downsyndromepregnancy.org, families.com, the Down Syndrome Centre of Ireland page, and a number of blogs. It's also been shared over 550 times on Facebook.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)
:)
Dana & co



Feel free to share about it, or share with friends you know. I'll write some updates very soon about school, communication, activities and others!

Ne vous gênez pas pour commenter, partager ce blog. Bientôt, j'écrirai une mise à jour de mon école, ma communication, mes nouvelles activités et des tonnes d'autres choses!!! À bientôt!

Zac is out

Aucun commentaire: